Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education
Apply to the M.A. in Early Childhood Education Program
Application Deadline - Fall 2023
October 1, 2022 - June 1, 2023
How to Apply
Apply at www.calstate.edu/apply.
- Select the term, and click "apply"
- Sign in, or if a new applicant, create an account
- From the dashboard, select "Add Program"
- In the search box, type "Fresno"
- Scroll down and select "Early Childhood Education" by clicking on the "+"
- Select "My application" from the dashboard
- Compete all four quadrants "Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information, and Program Materials"
- If you are a current post baccalaureate student (credential or master's degree) at
Fresno State, you do not need to apply to the university, you need to submit a Major Change form requesting to add to your current program.
- If you are a current post baccalaureate student (credential or master's degree) at Fresno State, you do not need to apply to the university, you need to submit a Major Change form requesting to add to your current program.
The following describes in detail the program application requirements in the "Program Materials" section of the Cal State Apply application. This section must be completed in order to be eligible for consideration for program admission.
In the "Program Materials" section, please upload copies of your unofficial transcripts. This is for the program application only.
Please note: For the university application, Graduate Admissions requires official transcripts from ALL colleges attended after high school, including transcripts with your most recently completed courses, are required for admission.
Fresno State graduates are not required to submit Fresno State transcripts to the Admissions Office.
How do I submit official transcripts?
Electronic- transcripts sent electronically or as a PDF attachment MUST come directly from the issuing institution. Transcripts emailed by the applicant will not be accepted for admission review.
Have your institution email transcripts to:
Fresno State Admissions OR Fresno State Division of Graduate Studies
Hardcopy- transcripts must remain in their original, sealed envelope.
Transcripts should be mailed to:
Graduate Admissions Office
California State University, Fresno
5150 N. Maple Ave M/S JA57
Fresno, CA 93740-8026
*This is a secure email for transcript submission ONLY. Email any questions regarding your application or transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate program applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted and a minimum of 2.75 on any Post Baccalaureate work at Fresno State.
The General Program Recommendation with Letter Upload is required to be submitted by your recommender. Request letters of reference from instructors, supervisors, or other individuals who are in a position to evaluate you in terms of your potential for graduate study in the program. Three recommendations are required.
In the "Recommenations" section, you will provide your recommender contact information. Once you have saved an electronic recommendation, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
You must meet this requirement by ONE of the following:
Meet the writing requirement through Basic Skills Requirement (BSR).
Obtaining a minimum passing score on the Upper Division Writing Examination (UDWE).
Earning a grade of "B" or better in any "W" course taken at Fresno State. (Note: This course cannot be counted toward your graduate degree.)
Substitution request approved by the Graduate Programs Coordinator (Dr. Susan Tracz) for a course taken at another institution.
To have courses that you have taken at another institution reviewed for substitution, please complete the Writing Competency Substitution form.
Please contact Program Coordinator, Dr. Dr. Feiyan Chen for additional program requirements.
English Language Requirements
All graduate and postbaccalaureate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). (Some campuses require a higher score.) Applicants taking the computer-based TOEFL must present a score of 213 or above. (Some campuses or programs require a higher score.) In the case of graduate admissions, the CSU minimum for the internet (TOEFL iBT) version of the TOEFL is 80.
For questions, please contact Graduate Admissions at 559/278-4073 or email@example.com
Early Childhood Education Specialist Credential Requirements
In addition to the above requirements, credential applicants:
- Must provide copy of valid California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential.
- Must verify with Program Coodinator your two years of experience at two levels of Early Childhood Education at the time the specialist credential is bestowed (credential only).
- Must be qualified for ECE Master Teaching permit (BA/BS plus 12 units of ECE or Child Development and 3 units of supervised ECE Fieldwork or a valid Multiple Subject Teaching Credential). Please contact the Program Coordinator for additional information.
Contact the Program Coordinator
Dr. Pei-Ying Wu
Graduate Admissions Analyst: Renee Petch
Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions? Visit our FAQ page for additional information.
Fresno State offers many avenues to receive assistance. Visit our Resources page.