John D. Welty Center for Educational Policy and Leadership
Rural Network- A Partnership in Action
In 2008, the Welty Center formed our first network- the Rural Schools Network. The ultimate goal of the Rural Network is to positively impact student learning outcomes and eliminate historic achievement gaps.
The Rural Schools Network offers small districts a variety of resources - collegial engagement, leadership experience, cutting edge practices, emerging research, and faculty expertise - to support rural superintendents as they pursue high priority initiatives and problems of practice.
The network engages rural Superintendents in professional learning and networking focused on innovative ideas, improving achievement, and closing the achievement gap.
The Rural Network
- Supports small district superintendents and their leadership teams
- Engages us, as a network, in conversation to support and solve problems
- Opens doors for peer observations
- Offers helpful workshops, visits to districts, peer review and informal breakfast conversations
- Leaders walk beside us to improve student results
Download our participation form.
Upcoming Events- 2021-2022
Time: 1:30 - 3:00 pm
Sept. 9, Oct. 28,
Nov. 18, Dec 9,
Jan. 20, Feb. 10,
Mar. 24, Apr. 28,
Virtual Network Sessions (Supts)
Location: Zoom sessions- link will be provided to members
Time: 7:30 - 9:30 am
Oct. 8, Jan. 7,
Mar. 11, May 13
Quarterly Breakfast (Supts)
McCoy's Coffee Shop
Time: 8:00 - 3:00 pm
Dinuba Unified School District office and schools
Sanger Unified School District office and schools
Time: 8:15 am - 4:00 pm
Date: Feb. 1, 2022
Exemplary Practices (EPC) Event
- CCEE Distance Learning Resources
- Khan Academy FREE Lessons, Units and Reviews (P-12)
- Teaching Digitally (click on individual resources to access links)
- Fresno County OE Distance Learning Resources
A Guide for Districts Combating COVID-19 Challenges
A practical guide to support LEAs make evidence-based decisions and implement best practices to accelerate student learning whether it is implemented as an on-site, remote, or hybrid model
Supporting the development of comprehensive plans to support flexible teaching and learning in this new environment, The Playbook provides tools and resources to support communication/family engagement, effective scheduling, staff engagement and professional learning, assessment of needs and progress, considerations for accessing school- and community-wide programs and resources, integrating social emotional learning and trauma-informed supports, and specific supports for English learners, and students with disabilities.
- Social and Emotional Support in Distance Learning: Guidance and resources (K–12) to provide social and emotional supports during distance learning.
- How the Best Leaders Are Using This Time To Be Successful in the Future. Use "Grind Time" to invest in relationships, innovation and new skills.
- Recovery and renewal... Past Crisis. Principles for advancing public education post-crisis outlines a set of principles to focus when considering returning to school- inequities, change and improvement.
- The Return: Prepare for Reentry and Beyond. Offers practical advice on reopening schools, with a focus on teaching, learning, and the logistics of an adjusted school schedule.
- What if we…don’t return to school as usual? Re-imagine an education system that serves all, not just some.
- Flip your students’ learning. Guidance and examples of how technology and face-to-face learning can be combined to move toward a more student-centered approach to instruction.
- How to Contend with Pandemic Learning Loss. Outlines 6 priorities for student learning when school resumes, including filling in learning gaps with high impact supports and keeping students on-track for their grade level without repeating material from prior year.
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning. Now more than ever, adults and children will need to develop, grow, and rely on their social and emotional skills to navigate the effects of COVID-19 and the transition back to in-person schooling.
- Leadership in a Crisis. Responding to COVID-19 and future challenges. Lays out 5 practices that can help leaders respond effectively through the uncertainty of the pandemic and beyond
- 5 Principles of High Reliability Organizations when leading through crisis. Leaders of any organization survive and thrive during challenges because they are prepared.
- COVID-19 and Student Learning in the United States: The Hurt Could Last a Lifetime. A data-driven analysis of potential lasting repercussions of the current situation as we prepare students for their future- social, emotionally, academically, work and life.
Would you like more information?
Complete and submit the Contact Form below.