Kremen School of Education and Human Development
Basic Skills Requirement
FAQs on BSR
California Education Code Sections 44252 and 44252.6 specify that teacher credential candidates must demonstrate, in English, proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills.
A new option to meet the basic skills requirement with coursework or a combination of coursework and exams.
Yes, passing the CBEST meets the basic skills requirement and a BSR audit should not be requested. CBEST scores do not expire.
- Earn a grade of "B-" or better, pass, or credit
- Have been taken at a regionally accredited college or university
- Three-semester units (or equivalent quarter units)
- Been taken for academic credit (earned units)
- Be degree applicable (AA degree applicable is OK)
- For Reading, be in the subject of critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis
- For Writing, be the subject of composition, English, rhetoric, written communications, or writing
- For Mathematics, be in the subject of algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics