Kremen School of Education and Human Development
Basic Skills Requirement - FAQs
California Education Code Sections 44252 and 44252.6 specify that teacher credential candidates must demonstrate, in English, proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills.
A new option to meet the basic skills requirement with coursework or a combination of coursework and exams.
Yes, passing the CBEST meets the basic skills requirement and a BSR audit should not be requested. CBEST scores do not expire.
- Earn a grade of "B-" or better, pass, or credit
- Have been taken at a regionally accredited college or university
- Three-semester units (or equivalent quarter units)
- Been taken for academic credit (earned units)
- Be degree applicable (AA degree applicable is OK)
- For Reading, be in the subject of critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis
- For Writing, be the subject of composition, English, rhetoric, written communications, or writing
- For Mathematics, be in the subject of algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics