Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Kremen School of Education and Human Development

Frequently Asked Questions

March 1st is the application deadline to begin coursework in the Summer or Fall. All application materials must be submitted by March 1st to be guaranteed full admission review. If you are applying to the MFCC program for Spring admissions, the deadline is October 15th.

New students can only begin the Masters of Science of CRMHC, SC, and SACC in the Summer and Fall semesters. However, the MFCC program does all accept students during the Spring semester. 

No. We accept applications once per year (except for the MFCC program). The deadline is March 1st to begin coursework for the subsequent Summer or Fall semester.

 We offer five primary concentrations:

  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling
  • Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling
  • School Counseling
  • Student Affairs and College Counseling



No. Applicants must hold an undergraduate degree but can be in any field or major from an 
accredited university.


Yes. In the 2022 admissions cycle, the Master's in Counseling program received more than 355 applications and could only accept 100 students. To make such challenging admissions decisions, faculty members assess applicants for their apparent fit for our program, passion for counseling, academic potential, life experiences, diversity, and other contributions to our program.

Meeting with faculty before applying may help students gain additional insights related to expectations. Although applicants are welcome to contact program coordinators with questions, such communication does not influence the admissions process or applicants' chances of acceptance into the program.

We encourage applicants to ensure their applications are submitted and completed by the deadline (March 1st) to be fully considered and reviewed for admission. This includes submitting all transcripts and recommendations. We also suggest that recommenders write full letters of recommendation to give us a fuller picture of applicants' strengths and areas for growth. In addition, we suggest that applicants submit a statement of purpose that answers the prompts and gives us a clear picture of why the applicant wants to be a counselor and thinks our program is the best fit. Lastly, applications sometimes stand out when applicants demonstrate volunteer or work experience related to the counseling populations they hope to support. This could include children, adolescents, or adults, based on their interests.  

For all application questions, please contact the program coordinator. Renee Petch (, Kremen School of Education and Human Development, Graduate Admissions Analyst, may be of assistance for questions related to the university application process, CalState Apply. Note that the Program Coordinators do not have access to graduate applications until they are complete. 

Please refer to the Office of Financial Aid for current information about tuition costs: 



Students may take courses prior to admission into the program. The university policy is that students may take up to six-course credits prior to formal admission. To do this, individuals must apply to Graduate School as a Post Baccalaureate students. The application for a Post Baccalaureate student is separate from the application for one of the MS programs and must be completed each semester a Post Baccalaureate student wants to take courses. 

Applications for the Post Baccalaureate program can be obtained CalState Apply

Applying to the Post Baccalaureate program and the Master's Counseling Program are separate processes, and completion of counseling courses as a Post Baccalaureate student does not guarantee that a student will be admitted into the Master's Counseling Program. Students should speak to the program coordinator for advising implications before enrolling.


All incoming students in counseling are required to attend the New Student Orientation typically held in April of the year of admission. Incoming students are assigned an advisor who is identified in their admission letter. Faculty advisors are available for academic and professional development assistance.  

After the New Student Orientation, students should meet with their assigned advisor sometime during their first Fall semester for a formal meeting to complete the projected Program of Study. 

Yes. Students may change their assigned advisor according to the proper protocol outlined in the student handbook. 

Most students complete the counseling programs at Fresno State in 2-3 years. Students can outline their own program of study timeline with their advisor to take into account their availability, work/life balance, and course offerings.  Students who desire to complete the program in two years must begin coursework during the first summer after acceptance into the program. Students cannot take more than four courses (12 credit hours) in one semester without advisor approval via the university overload form. 

Many courses are offered during the afternoon and evening hours Monday through Thursday. Most evening courses are specifically offered from 4:00pm-6:50pm and 7:00pm-9:50pm. A select number of classes are offered online or as a “hybrid” course, using a combination of face-to-face and online learning methods 

Yes. Some students earn their counseling degree by completing courses part-time, taking only 1-2 courses per semester. However, all Master's students at Fresno State must complete their full degree in five years. This time to degree begins when a student takes their first course in the program of study, including post-baccalaureate courses. 

Students interested in transferring to one of Fresno State’s counseling programs from another university must apply to the program following the standard admissions process. If accepted, they can work with their advisor to petition the Graduate School to transfer up to 12 credit hours towards their program degree plan.  

No, a Master of Science in counseling differs from a Master’s in Psychology. Although both degrees share a focus on helping others, the content and use of a psychology and counseling degree are different. A counseling degree is a terminal degree that leads graduates to become licensed counselors, not licensed psychologists. Counselors also use an overall wellness approach and address problems from developmental perspectives. A psychology Master's degree is not terminal; a PhD or PsyD must be completed to be a psychologist practitioner. Psychologists also use a medical or scientific model to support clients rather than a behavioral and developmental one.  

CER department students can access the financial assistance resources of Fresno State, including loans, grants, scholarships, and graduate assistantships. More information is available here: Division of Research and Graduate Studies (DRGS) Funding Opportunities  

Please contact the following individuals with additional questions:

  • Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling, Option Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling (Dr. Yuleinys Castillo/559.278.0070/
  • Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling, Option Clinical Mental Health Counseling (Program Coordinator: Dr. Yuleinys Castillo/559.278.0070/
  • Master of Science in Counseling, Option in School Counseling ( Dr. Yasar Nur Dedeoglu/559.278.0307/
  • Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential (Dr. Yasar Nur Dedeoglu/559.278.0307/ ) 
  • Master of Science in Counseling, Option in Student Affairs and College Counseling (Dr. Soua Xiong/559.278.0316/
  • Master of Science in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling (Dr. Mandy Greaves/559.278.0381/