Teaching Credential Programs
Education Specialist and Dual Credential Programs
Fresno State's nationally accredited Education Specialist Credential program prepares caring, competent and reflective credential candidates to teach students with mild to moderate and extensive support needs in a variety of diverse educational settings in grades kindergarten - age 22 across the Central Valley of California. Come join our innovative and supportive program!
Our mission and beliefs:
- Asset-based teaching to strengths, skills and abilities and preparation of students for the future
- Advocating for students and families
- Collaboration & communication with all stakeholders
- Embracing and celebrating diversity and differences
- Engaging in lifelong learning and professional growth
- Giving back and serving our local and statewide communities
- Taking personal responsibility for one's own teaching and actions
Two Education Specialist Credentials + Option of a Master of Arts in Special Education
Earn both the Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Support Needs and Extensive Support Needs Credentials simultaneously in one combined 3 phase program! Add a Master of Arts in Special Education in two addional semesters.
Multiple Subject + Two Education Specialist Credentials + Option of a Master of Arts in Special Education
Complete a Dual program of Multiple Subject + combined Mild/Moderate Support Needs and Extensive Support Needs Credentials simultaneously in 4 phases! Add a Master of Arts in Special Education in two addional semesters.
Add a Bilingual Authorization to either option above
The Fresno State Spanish/Hmong Bilingual Authorization Program trains future teachers with the skills needed to support linguistically and culturally diverse students. A majority of the courses required for a BAP can also be completed during your undergraduate degree.
Pathways to Earning Your Credential
We provide unique experiences for credential candidates to become more closely connected to students and educators in local school districts. Our dedicated district partnerships are essential in producing quality teachers. Students can earn their Education Specialist or Dual Credential through:
- Evening cohorts
- Teacher Internship Program
- Teacher Residency Programs
- View Clovis Teacher Residency roadmap of courses.
- Fresno Teacher Residency roadmap in progress.
- Students are also able to begin their credential courses while pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies at Fresno State. For more information, visit the Liberal Studies Program page.